Thursday, June 05, 2008

Why I gave up on MySpace...

...and for that matter, why I hate teenager girls:




For the full story, click here.

To be certain, I'm not excusing the irresponsibility associated with having casual sex. But stories like this continue to amaze me. Not one, but TWO unsuspecting young men will spend time behind bars while being permanently labeled as sex offenders because an underaged girl lied on her MySpace page?

I mean, for real?!

You know, I'm this close to siding with R. Kelly. Well, maybe not. But you get the point. Something is terribly wrong with this picture.

Hat tip to The Happy Go Lucky Bachelor for the vid.

- ACL

10 "Insiders" spoke their mind. Join in...:

Malik Akbar said...

I have mixed feelings about punishing the guy. Part of me says, yeah, it's possible to mistake a 13 year old for a nineteen year old these days if you're just looking, but I don't know, after a little conversation, it would seem like some alarm bells would go off. And he was man enough to go to her father. That takes some courage, 'cause I know how I, and most fathers, would react if some 20 something year old dude comes to my house telling me that he had sex with my thirteen year old. But then too, there's no such thing as "casual" sex. These days sex can cost you your freedom AND your life, not to mention the fact that it's always possible to make a life. You gotta exercise better judgment than that.

I don't have mixed feelings about the girls parents however. The SECOND time?! Hell to the naw. The child gets no freedom and no trust after the first time. And the WHOLE family goes into therapy. No arguments.

Andre said...

Malik,

"Part of me says, yeah, it's possible to mistake a 13 year old for a nineteen year old these days if you're just looking, but I don't know, after a little conversation, it would seem like some alarm bells would go off."

I try not to preface things with "when I was their age"; as that tends to reveal how old as hell I am. But kids these days can really pass themselves off as being much older than they actually are. Even by engaging in more sexually explicit talk, the line of age perception can easily get blurred or erased altogether. Oppositely, I know some 19/20 year olds who act like kids. Unless you card people these days, it's virtually impossible to make distinctions. I'm reminded of this every time I walk around campus, seeing 18 year old undergrads; thinking to myself "That was me 10 years ago!"

"But then too, there's no such thing as "casual" sex. These days sex can cost you your freedom AND your life, not to mention the fact that it's always possible to make a life. You gotta exercise better judgment than that."

No argument there. Ten or fifteen minutes of pleasure never compares to the years of agony and hardship that come along with it.

"I don't have mixed feelings about the girls parents however. The SECOND time?! Hell to the naw. The child gets no freedom and no trust after the first time. And the WHOLE family goes into therapy. No arguments."

I think the parents' role in this situation bothers me most. I'm wondering how much of an advocate they were in reducing the punishments of the the men involved. After all, it was their lying, manipulative, wild, and rebellious daughter who planted the seed in the first place. One time is unfortunate. Twice is unforgivable.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dre,

I thought you might be interested to see her actual page. It's blocked, but as you can tell on the front page, she's STILL posing as being older than what she is:

http://www.myspace.com/65344526

Malik, you're right. This girl AND her family needs some help. NOW!

Anonymous said...

Andre/Malik,

I heard about this story also. From what I read, the guy started to suspect that the girl was younger and THEN went to the father. At that point, the father called the police. If that's true, then shame on the father. Rather than rewarding the guy for his honesty and punishing his wannabe grown daughter, the guy gets a year in jail!

This story makes me sick.

Anonymous said...

It's for reasons like this that I have our computer in the middle of the living room. Any online activity that goes on in my house, I see it. These parents should be ashamed of themselves for allowing their child to be so destructive - not only to herself, but to the family AND to the young men. The last thing we need are more of our young men in jail.

Anonymous said...

I think what bothers me most is that the only decent person in this whole is the one going to jail. If what the article says is true, and the young man went to the father after discovering the girl's age, WHY IS HE THE ONE BEING PUNISHED?!

What ever happened to honesty being the best policy?

Anonymous said...

This story is wrong on so many levels. If a kid uses a fake ID to purchase alcohol, they stand to get in TONS of trouble. But that same kid can go on myspace, deliberately deceive somebody, have sex with them, and get away scot free? By intentionally misleading people, isn't she an accessory to the crime AT LEAST?

Secondly, I think the father needs to be slapped or jailed himself. Since this isn't the first time his daughter has pulled what I would consider an illegal act, there should have been far more oversight this time around. Yet, he enabled her to set another person up. Negligence should be a punishable for the father if its punishable for the young men. He knew from the first case that she was presenting herself online as legal age and should have done something to stop it the minute he first found out. He was negligent. In some respects he is just as guilty as the girl.

At the end of the day, I agree with what Joanne said. All this little *blankety blank* girl did was put a few more black men in jail for nothing.

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed at how many people are coming to the defense of morons who can't tell the difference between a thirteen year old girl and an adult.

Everybody insists on beating up on this girl as if she was some manipulative, evil person who set these men up. The girl is not even in high school yet! Why not turn to the attention the idiots who couldn't tell the difference between a girl going through puberty and a full grown woman?! That's where the attention should be placed.

Secondly, the father may be a bad parent, but he's not the one at fault either. If I found out some guy was having sex with my underaged daughter, I'd report him too! Besides that, it's the prosecutor -- NOT the parents -- who decide when to go after an assailant. Maybe that was because lawyers think like the rest of us -- that 20+ year olds should be tell the difference between kids and adults.

Andre said...

@ Anonymous:

"I'm amazed at how many people are coming to the defense of morons who can't tell the difference between a thirteen year old girl and an adult."

Go back and look at her pictures again. For that matter, just walk around in a city like Flint, New York, or Atlanta. There must be something in the water; 'cuz girls today are getting developed WAY too fast.

"Everybody insists on beating up on this girl as if she was some manipulative, evil person who set these men up. The girl is not even in high school yet!"

You must not have ever been in high school. Kids were devious even when I was in high school -- 10 years ago!

Besides that, when you've got seven year olds maliciously stealing and trashing cars to get revenge on their parents, manipulating older men for sex is small potatoes. Still, I agree that she was not necessarily evil. But she's certainly not a victim. She knew she was getting involved with older men who stood to get in trouble. She engaged anyway. That's what makes her dangerous and manipulative.

"Secondly, the father may be a bad parent, but he's not the one at fault either. If I found out some guy was having sex with my underaged daughter, I'd report him too!"

Yeah? Well what would you do to your irresponsible daughter? Unless you count masturbation or rape, sex is a two way street.

"Besides that, it's the prosecutor -- NOT the parents -- who decide when to go after an assailant. Maybe that was because lawyers think like the rest of us -- that 20+ year olds should be tell the difference between kids and adults."

Therein lies another problem. While this story is messed up from the perspectives of all the players involved, we have to be equally critical of the job done by the courts. Her page should've been brought into evidence, as should her priors. Deception is deception. I know the law doesn't bend for ignorance of the rules, but it should.

Malik Akbar said...

Go back and look at her pictures again. For that matter, just walk around in a city like Flint, New York, or Atlanta. There must be something in the water; 'cuz girls today are getting developed WAY too fast.

F'real. Anony must not get out much. I remember putting a picture of one my eighth grade homegirls on my nightstand when I was fifteen and my mom flipped out because she wanted to know what I was doing with a picture of one of my teachers. I don't know if it's the hormones they put in food, environmental pollution, or what, but somethin' ain't right with the way girls are developing these days.