Friday, August 18, 2006

The inside joke explained...

I've been promising my best-est friend that I'd include a plug on my blog about one of our favorite video clips. Since I really don't have a lot of time to commit to heavy blog-like thinking today, I thought I'd just indulge you a bit with this clip:

In this particular skit from the highly controversial Chappelle's Show, as Chappelle and a bunch of other people are dancing in a nightclub, ?uestlove (pronounced "Questlove", the crazy sick drummer from The Roots) plays a 'new' song from the late Tupac Shakur. For any hip-hoppers out there, this is funny in and of itself, since Tupac has been dead since 1996. Yet he keeps releasing new albums. At any rate, Chappelle is impersonating Tupac with the same sound and intonation that became a signature of Tupac's.

The skits gets humorous when Tupac's song starts addressing people, issues, and things that are present-day, even though Tupac died almost a decade earlier. The song speaks to things like Bush winning the 2000 election, Blackberry phones, the popular video game Grand Theft Auto, and the conflict in Afghanistan. The skit gets even sillier when the lyrics address incidents that are going on right there in the club; a woman with stained and mismatched clothes, a guy bumping into the DJ's table, and Chappelle dancing with some woman who isn't his wife. But despite all of this song's current-day references, Tupac reminds the listener that he wrote this song "... '94".

This skit has quickly become one of my favorites and it explains some of the references that my friend has been making in some of my comment sections.

To get in on the inside joke, click here to view the video.

I'll be back with more meaningful stuff soon. In the meantime, have a great weekend.

- ACL

18 "Insiders" spoke their mind. Join in...:

Anonymous said...

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I LOVE this clip!

He he!

Anonymous said...

Yeah. Dave Chappelle is (or was?) a genius! This skit had me rolling on the floor!

Anonymous said...

OK; me and my stupid questions: Last post you were talking about how "alone" you felt. Yet in this post, you suddenly have a "best-est" friend. Is there some magic at work here or were you just exaggerating last time?

Anonymous said...

That brings up a good question (nice going anonymous person),does this "best-est" friend live in your city? If so, why not hang out with him/her? (feel free to stop me if I'm getting too nosey :)

Anonymous said...

By the way, that skit was tooooo funny!!!! Thank you Andre's best-est friend :)

Andre said...

@ JD: I thought you'd be pleased...

@ KC: Minus the weird 'breakdown' he had, Chappelle is brilliant with what he does. I rank him up there with Bill Maher and Chris Rock; though their comedy styles are considerably different.

@ anonymous: My "best-est" friend is the closest non-family member to me in the world. I may not be her closest friend, but she's mine. If I had to rank people (and, in some subconscious way I think I do), she'd be number one. Admittedly, though, we're not always super sociable with one another but, I think that our closeness makes up for it.

@ Monique: Hey 'Nique. My partner actually does reside in the same area. We talk to each other just about every day. We don't see each other a lot; largely because we're both working professionals. But, barring certain circumstances, I'll get to see her every so often.

By the way, you're not getting nosey. It's only getting nosey if you were to ask me if I secretly like her...:)

Andre said...

@ Monique (again): Hey! Before you go around thanking 'the friend', let me remind you that this is "Inside Andre's Head"!

See, you gettin' a brotha all jealous before the weekend...

Anonymous said...

I don't know if anybody caught it, but at the end when ?uestlove says "Rest in peace", Tupac says "I will"! LOL!

Chappelle is the best!

Anonymous said...

@ Cynthia: I caught that too :)

@Andre, now, now....There is no need for jealousy.....Dudes....Geesh :)

Marianita said...

Best Chapelle clip ever. Period.

Anonymous said...

The skit was hilarious, but nothing will ever,ever, ever top the Charlie Murphy true Hollywood story about Rick James.

Sorry, something unrelated, did they take the Boondocks off the air?

Andre said...

@ Monique: *in my whiny, baby voice* I'm just making sure that I get the credit here.

It's my blog and I'll cry if I want to.

@ Marianita: I concur.

How are things at Georgetown, by the way?! Minus being the only confused person in DC, I imagine that it's going pretty well. You're a trooper...

@ The sis: The Rick James bit was the funniest skit until I started seeing suburban kids in Grand Blanc screaming "I'm Rick James, b*tch". It all went downhill from there...

From what I hear, Aaron McGruder just signed a deal for a 20-episode second season (I hope that we finally get to see Ceasar). Plus, the 1st season DVD collection has been selling like hotcakes. I don't think that the 'docks is gone get cut too soon.

Ho said...

I need to watch some more Chappelle. I forget how funny that man is, that clip is genius!

Anonymous said...

Secretly like her????????????

Andre said...

@ Ho: The Lost Episodes are pretty funny, but the show can be a little hard to stomach sometimes. I guess I'm little annoyed at how the show is p*ssing on him by doing the whole "Where's Dave?" angle.

All that notwithstanding, funny stuff.

@ JD: Oh, of course not! Besides, if that was the case, it wouldn't be a secret any more, would it...?

Anonymous said...

Dre,

You BETTER NOT secretly like her!

Anonymous said...

This skit is funny! My favorite has gotta be the Prince skit!

Andre said...

@ JD: Back off. Yo' crew don't phase us. We'll make me bust a spaz. Run up on yo spot like CJ from San Andreas...

@ Not a republican: What's up you?! How ya been?

I agree that the Prince skit was hilarious too. But, I think this one took the cake.

Game. Blouses...