- Only an estimated 189,000 out of 500,000 New Orleans residents have returned to the city.
- There were more than 215,000 homes destroyed by Katrina. Total housing units lost in the state, including apartments, was close to 1.8 million. Yep. 1.8 million.
- Katrina left 60.3 million cubic yards of debris in Louisiana. Only about half of that has been removed as of this month.
- Of the 81,000 businesses that were impacted, only 42,000 have fully reopened. 18,700 businesses were completely destroyed altogether.
- More than 835 schools were damaged statewide. Only 20 out of 128 public schools have reopened since Katrina.
- Of the 245,000 college students statewide, over 83,000 were displaced. Of those students, only about 16,500 have re-enrolled in state.
- More than 220,000 jobs were lost.
- Over 100 square miles of wetland was destroyed by Katrina.
- Eight of 16 hospitals in the New Orleans area have been closed.
Yet, they're celebrating Mardi Gras this year.