Sunday, March 12, 2006

Getting down & dirty

I didn't go to church today. I just couldn't get myself moving. I know, I know....I need Jesus! :)

To make up for not going to church, I thought I'd flip through some channels and watch a televised morning service. I found some minister (the name escapes me right now) who shared an awesome message about Jesus' parable of the woman with the lost coin (found in Luke 15:8-10). After listening to his sermon (or about as much of it as I could before going back to sleep), I started thinking again. Since I've been in the habit of discussing Jesus' radicalized messages lately on my blog (while stirring up a little controversy in the meantime), why should I stop now?

I've always loved this parable; probably more than any other. This parable, in my opinion, shows the true extent to just how radical God’s love can be. In this story, Jesus compares God to a woman who lost a coin, one of her most valuable possesions. She got down on her hands and knees looking for this coin; through all the dirt, mud, and filth. After crawling through the dirt, she finally found the coin. With her discovery, she began to rejoice. All this work for one coin..

What’s cool about this story is that Jesus points out the true nature of God. We are so valuable to God that He has no problem getting on His knees to find us…even if it means going down into the dirtiest, most filthy places in our lives. How’s that for love?! You see, as God’s creations, we are His most prized possession. When we are lost, God will stop at nothing to seek us until we are found. When He does find us (more like when we allow Him to find us), he rejoices over it. Did you get that? He rejoices over it! God rejoices over us, the finite, sinful, and sometimes idiotic creatures that we are. How cool is that?!

Plus, by us being the "lost coin", we are considered victims in this story, not criminals. God doesn't view us as dirty, vile, and sinful people who deserve to be lost, but rather as victims to sin. Knowing this, He will stop at nothing to free us from the guilt and condemnation that comes with sin.

I think that's why I love this parable. It suggests a radical idea about God.

A God who gets down and dirty for us...

- ACL

6 "Insiders" spoke their mind. Join in...:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Wonderful post!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, really beautiful. This one really made me put my thinking cap on. Thanks for the inspiring words!

Anonymous said...

It really makes me feel good knowing that God is watching out for lil ole me!

Like the song says, "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me!"

Incredible post!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the bigger question is: Since God is willing to "get down and dirty" for us, what will we do for Him?

Great post!

Andre said...

Thanks to each of you for your comments. You all bless me more than you realize!

@ Joel: In one of my posts, "What have you done for Him lately?", I ask the same question. One of my friends grilled me on that one once before.

I think that it's a powerful testimony to our love for Christ when we can sit down and figure out what we do for Him through our actions.

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

If you think about it, it all makes sense.

Since Jesus Himself left the riches of Heaven to come down to Earth for us, this parable takes on an exact meaning.

Thanks for sharing your God-filled thoughts with me!