Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Insane in the membrane?


Along with many other cool things, Albert Einstein left us this great quote. I think I need to start applying it to my life a bit more.

Lately, I've been asking myself lots of questions about why I bother to do certain things in my life, especially when they don't generate the outcomes that I expect or desire. Asking questions like this is a pretty good indicator that I need to make some changes. I've always had this habit of analyzing the patterns in life and trying to determine whether or not they're working. If I keep doing the same things that I've always done, it's pretty logical to conclude that I will get the same results each time. That being the case, why do I keep beating myself over the head doing the same 'ole things', when it doesn't appear that changes will ever come out of it? Am I repeating something over and over and expecting different results? If so, does that mean that I'm insane?

How many more days do I need to oversleep to figure out that I need to start going to bed earlier? How many more speeding tickets do I need to get in order for me to slow the hell down?

I think that Einstein summed it up best when he said, "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the [same] level of thinking that created them." To that end, if I continue getting results that I don’t like, maybe I not only need to change my behavior/actions, but my thinking as well.

I think I can learn a thing or two from Mr. Einstein.

- ACL

1 "Insiders" spoke their mind. Join in...:

Anonymous said...

Dude! Stop being so hard on yourself! I think that we're all guilty of being so persistent that we do things over and over again. It's not your fault!